Commercial Truck Driver Rules to Live By
Great Lakes Aggregates is committed to a safe workplace. It is our focus to protect our customers and employees by proven safe practices. Our customers and employees are required to observe the following rules:
- Observe all traffic signs, signals and posted speed limits. Established Quarry traffic patterns must be observed at all times.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be used as required in 30 CFR Part 56.
- Always wear your seatbelt. Seatbelt use is mandatory at all times. Seatbelts save lives.
- Wheel chocks must be utilized for any unattended equipment. A truck tarp station located in the plant is to be used for adjusting the truck tarp system. At NO TIME may drivers climb on and into truck trailers while on company property. It is strictly forbidden.
- Drivers must remain in their vehicles unless in a designated safe area. Our customer loader operators have been instructed not to load any truck unless the driver is observed in the vehicle. Drivers may not exit their vehicle in a loading area at any time.
- Always yield right-of-way to haul trucks and mobile equipment whether loaded or empty. Do not follow any vehicle too closely.
- Always blow horn and make sure equipment operators see you before passing behind them. Check behind your vehicle before backing up.
- Do not smoke or use any open flames around flammable liquid storage or dispensing areas. Obey all “No Smoking” signs to avoid potential fire hazards.
- Never stand near bins, hoppers or stockpiles where material could slide, strike or bury you.
- Do not attempt to get on or off of moving equipment.
- No acts of violence or “horseplay” will be tolerated. Any form of sexual or other illegal harassment is prohibited.
- First aid supplies are located throughout the property. If you are injured or involved in an accident while on the property, report it promptly to plant supervision.
- For everyone’s safety, report any unusual conditions to a company supervisor promptly.
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are prohibited on Company property.
- Emergency telephone numbers are posted. In the event of severe weather you will receive instructions from plant supervision. Severe weather conditions include, but are not limited to thunderstorms, tornado activity and lightning.